- May 18, 2018
Shareholder Randal Brotherhood, currently Chair of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin and a member of the State Bar Section Leaders Council, has been elected to the position of SLC Representative to the Legislative Oversight Committee, for a two-year term beginning July 1, 2018. By virtue of this position, Mr. Brotherhood will succeed to the position of Vice Chair of the State Bar Section Leaders Council on July 1, 2020, and thereafter to the position of Chair of the Section Leaders Council on July 1, 2022.
- December 5, 2017
The Wisconsin Defense Counsel will be hosting its annual Winter Conference on Friday, December 8th beginning at 8:15 a.m. at the Marriott Milwaukee West in Waukesha.
- Attorney Michael Cohen to Present at the State Bar of Wisconsin Trending Topics in Business Litigation SeminarNovember 22, 2017
The Litigation Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin will be hosting a PINNACLE seminar titled “Trending Topics in Business Litigation 2017.” The live seminar will take place on Thursday, November 30th from 8:30 a.m. to 4:40 p.m. at the Milwaukee Marriott Downtown. Trending Topics in Business Litigation 2017 will cover many of today’s hottest issues impacting law practices.
- November 14, 2017
“As you may know, the Senate Finance Committee just released a description of its version of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA). Unfortunately, as explained in more detail in the attached letter that I wrote to my Senator, this could actually represent a step backwards from the standpoint of S corporations, limited liability companies and other closely held "pass-through" businesses.
- November 10, 2017
Meissner Tierney is proud to announce that seven shareholders, including Joseph Tierney III, Thomas Nichols, Randal Brotherhood, Michael Cohen*, William Stuart, Pamela Tillman** and Mark Malloy, have been selected to the 2017 Wisconsin Super Lawyers list. In addition, Shareholder Brian Tokarz and Associates Dieter Juedes and Joseph Sarmiento were selected to the Super Lawyers Rising Stars list. Each year, no more than five percent of the lawyers in Wisconsin are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor.
- November 8, 2017
“As you may know, the House Ways and Means Committee just released the text for its new Tax Reform proposal, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), on Thursday of last week. Unfortunately, as explained in more detail in the attached letter that I wrote to my Congressman, this could actually represent a step backwards from the standpoint of S corporations, limited liability companies and other closely held "pass-through" businesses.
- November 1, 2017
Meissner Tierney is pleased to announce that the firm has been selected to the 2018 edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms”. All law firms included in the annual “Best Law Firms” list are recognized for professional excellence with consistently impressive ratings from clients and peers. Achieving a ranking signals a unique combination of quality law practice and breadth of legal expertise.
- Attorneys Bill Stuart and Garrett Soberalski Speak on Litigation and Liability to the Apartment Association of Southeastern WisconsinOctober 25, 2017
On October 20, 2017, attorneys Bill Stuart and Garrett Soberalski spoke at the Apartment Association of Southeastern Wisconsin’s (AASEW) 2017 Trade Show hosted at the Potawatomi Hotel & Casino.
- Update: Attorneys Michael Cohen & Joseph Sarmiento Win Appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh CircuitSeptember 7, 2017
As referenced in a previous post, Shareholder Michael Cohen presented oral argument in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit on behalf of multiple insurers on coverage issues related to what constitutes “property damage” caused by an “occurrence” under Wisconsin law.
- Attorney Michael Cohen to Present at the National Business Institute’s Seminar "Expert Witnesses: Using Wisconsin Court Rules to Your Advantage"August 31, 2017
Join attorney Michael Cohen on September 27, 2017 at the Holiday Inn Milwaukee Riverfront for a live National Business Institute seminar titled, “Expert Witnesses: Using Wisconsin Court Rules to Your Advantage.” Michael will be presenting best practices for direct and cross-examination of expert witnesses.
- August 15, 2017
Meissner Tierney is extremely honored to announce that eight of our senior shareholders were once again selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2018 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. Best Lawyers® compiles its lists of attorneys by recognizing those who have been nominated by their peers through extensive confidential peer-review surveys distinguishing their outstanding achievement in each of their specific practice areas.
- August 4, 2017
Meissner Tierney is pleased to welcome Graham Garland as an Associate Attorney. In his new position, Graham will focus his practice on transactional matters.
- Attorneys Mark Malloy and Joseph Sarmiento to Participate as Panelists in the 2017 Wisconsin Defense Counsel Summer ConferenceAugust 1, 2017
Join attorneys Mark Malloy and Joseph Sarmiento on August 3, 2017 for the Wisconsin Defense Counsel Summer Conference at the Kalahari Resort & Convention Center in the Wisconsin Dells.
- Video: Piercing the Corporate Veil in Wisconsin: When Individuals May be Held Personally Responsible for Business Liabilities - Attorney Matthew FisherJuly 24, 2017
Attorney Matthew Fisher shares insight into what factors Wisconsin courts consider when determining to look beyond corporate protection and pierce the corporate veil, thus holding a business owner, manager, or shareholder of a Corporation or LLC personally responsible for business liabilities.
- Attorneys Adam Tutaj and Henry Weiner Present CLE Seminar "Choosing & Forming the Right Business Entity for Your Clients"June 26, 2017
On June 21, 2017, shareholder Adam Tutaj and attorney Henry Weiner presented a live, all-day CLE seminar as part of the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Build Your Practice Series titled, "Choosing & Forming the Right Business Entity for Your Clients."
- June 21, 2017
Meissner Tierney is pleased to welcome Adam Cain as IT Manager & Systems Administrator. Adam comes to Meissner Tierney with nearly 20 years of experience in the IT industry, having worked in the educational, healthcare, and non-profit spaces. In his new position, he will be responsible for the design, build, modification, installation, and support of the firm’s computer network and system infrastructure.
- June 6, 2017
Meissner Tierney is pleased to welcome Susanne Troop as a Paralegal. Susanne comes to Meissner Tierney with over 30 years of legal support and paralegal experience. In her new position, she will assist the corporate transactional attorneys in estate planning, tax return preparation, and commercial and residential real estate transactions. Prior to joining Meissner Tierney, she served as a Legal Assistant with Hostak, Henzl & Bichler, S.C.
- May 24, 2017
On May 23, 2017, Shareholder Michael Cohen presented oral argument in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit on behalf of multiple insurers on coverage issues related to what constitutes “property damage” caused by an “occurrence” under Wisconsin law. Land O’Lakes, Inc. v. Ratajczak, Appeal Nos. 16-3490 and 16-3920. The insurers had succeeded on motions for summary judgment in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, which found that Land O’Lakes’s allegations related to purported misrepresentations regarding the ingredients and quality of whey protein concentrate which was incorporated into animal feed replacer products did not constitute “property damage” caused by an “occurrence.”
- Video: Attorney Tom Nichols Participates in Capitol Hill Panel Discussion “Talking Tax Reform: The Tax Code as a Barrier to Entrepreneurship”May 22, 2017
As mentioned in a prior post, Meissner Tierney President and Shareholder, Tom Nichols, participated in a Capitol Hill panel discussion hosted by the Tax Foundation on May 15, 2017. Members of the panel discussed how entrepreneurship has slowed in the recent decades and pointed out how specific aspects of the current U.S. tax code discourage entrepreneurs and inhibits growth of successful businesses. The four member panel outlines how tax business policies could be crafted to encourage entrepreneurs and expansion of businesses.
- Attorney Tom Nichols to Participate in Tax Foundation Panel in Washington D.C. on the Tax Code and EntrepreneurshipMay 11, 2017
Meissner Tierney President and Shareholder, Tom Nichols, was invited to give the business owner perspective in a presentation on Capitol Hill being put on by a business-oriented Washington think tank. The panel is entitled “The Tax Code as a Barrier to Entrepreneurship.”
- Attorney Scott Brunner Presents to the State Bar of Wisconsin on Securities Law for Closely-Held BusinessesMay 4, 2017
On May 2, 2017, Attorney Scott Brunner participated as a speaker in a panel discussion before the State Bar of Wisconsin titled, “Securities Law for Attorneys Representing Closely-Held Businesses.” The panel of experts provided an overview on the laws, regulations, and strategies involving capital formation and applicability of federal and state securities regulations for closely-held businesses.
- Video: Protecting a Trademark - Part III: Steps to Protect Your Business From Trademark Infringement - Attorney Randy BrotherhoodApril 24, 2017
- March 16, 2017
- Video: Common Mistakes Insureds Make That Jeopardize Coverage Under Their Insurance Policies - Attorney Pamela TillmanMarch 10, 2017
- Attorney Randy Brotherhood Appears Before the Wisconsin Supreme Court in Support of the Business Court Pilot ProjectFebruary 21, 2017
- February 20, 2017
- January 25, 2017
- Attorneys Michael Cohen and Joseph Sarmiento Recognized for Outstanding Appellate Brief in State Bar of Wisconsin CompetitionDecember 21, 2016
- December 19, 2016
- Attorneys Brian Tokarz and Matthew Fisher to Present to the National Business Institute on Construction Defect Insurance Coverage IssuesNovember 29, 2016
- November 21, 2016
- November 11, 2016
- November 1, 2016
- October 27, 2016
- Attorneys Joseph Sarmiento and Dieter Juedes to Present to the Milwaukee Bar Association on Recent Developments Impacting Wisconsin Duty to Defend LawOctober 26, 2016
- Attorney Scott Brunner to Present to the Milwaukee Bar Association on Securities Crowdfunding and Regulation AOctober 5, 2016
- Attorney Mark Malloy to Present on Insurance Coverage Law via National Business Institute Live Audio WebinarSeptember 27, 2016
- September 22, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- July 26, 2016
- July 12, 2016
- Attorney Tom Nichols to Present to the State Bar of Wisconsin on Wisconsin’s Revised Uniform Partnership Act (RUPA)July 8, 2016
- July 1, 2016
- June 23, 2016
- Attorney Randy Brotherhood Elected Chairman of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of WisconsinJune 21, 2016
- June 15, 2016
- Attorney Mark Malloy to Present on Insurance Bad Faith Claims via National Business Institute's Live TeleconferenceJune 6, 2016
- June 1, 2016
- May 24, 2016
- Video: "Protecting a Trademark - Part II: Steps in Protecting Rights in a Trademark Once it is Selected" - Attorney Randy BrotherhoodApril 5, 2016
- Attorney William Stuart Presents Seminar to the Milwaukee Bar Association on Remedies in Real Estate Purchases and Sale ContractsMarch 1, 2016
- Video: "Protecting a Trademark - Part I: What is a Trademark & What Does a Business Need to Know in Selecting One?" - Attorney Randy BrotherhoodFebruary 16, 2016
- January 5, 2016
- December 14, 2015
- November 12, 2015
- November 11, 2015
- November 5, 2015
- Attorneys Scott Brunner and Brian Tokarz to Present on "Negotiating Indemnification in Commercial Leases" via National Business Institute Live TeleconferenceOctober 14, 2015
- October 6, 2015
- Mark Malloy Recognized as a Premier 100 Trial Attorney in Wisconsin by the American Academy of Trial AttorneysSeptember 18, 2015
- Attorney Randy Brotherhood to Present and Serve as Program Chair at the State Bar of Wisconsin Seminar on “What Every Business Lawyer Needs to Know in Advising Clients About Social Media Law”September 18, 2015
- August 24, 2015
- August 19, 2015
- August 17, 2015
- August 5, 2015
- Attorneys Brian Tokarz and Matthew Fisher to present at the National Business Institute on Construction Defect Insurance Coverage IssuesJuly 28, 2015
- July 22, 2015
- July 13, 2015
- July 13, 2015
- July 8, 2015
- June 25, 2015
- Attorney Mark Malloy to Present on Bad Faith Claims via the National Business Institute's Live Video WebcastJune 12, 2015
- May 21, 2015
- April 29, 2015
- April 28, 2015
- April 28, 2015
- Attorneys Michael Cohen and Joseph Sarmiento Obtain Unanimous Decision from the Wisconsin Supreme CourtApril 10, 2015
- March 26, 2015
- February 3, 2015
- January 28, 2015
- January 8, 2015
- December 5, 2014
- December 1, 2014
- November 20, 2014
- November 18, 2014
- November 14, 2014
- November 6, 2014
- November 4, 2014
- October 31, 2014
- October 6, 2014
- Attorneys Malloy and Fisher Obtain Favorable Insurance Coverage Decision From Wisconsin Court of AppealsOctober 3, 2014
- August 29, 2014
- August 20, 2014
- August 8, 2014
- July 24, 2014
- July 15, 2014
- June 2, 2014
- April 3, 2014
- March 28, 2014
- Josh Welsh and Scott Brunner to Present National Teleconference on Indemnification in Commercial LeasesMarch 27, 2014
- March 25, 2014
- March 6, 2014
- February 28, 2014
- February 21, 2014
- December 19, 2013
- December 17, 2013
- November 14, 2013
- November 11, 2013
- Michael Cohen Elected to Judicial Election Steering Committee and Presenting at State Bar of Wisconsin SeminarNovember 11, 2013
- September 12, 2013
- September 10, 2013
- August 19, 2013
- July 9, 2013
- July 3, 2013
- June 18, 2013
- June 17, 2013
- May 30, 2013
- May 13, 2013
- May 13, 2013
- May 13, 2013
- May 3, 2013
- May 2, 2013
- April 19, 2013
- Thomas Nichols Helps Draft the ABA Tax Section's Comments to IRS Concerning the Proposed New Net Investment Income TaxApril 17, 2013
- Thomas Hruz presents "Evidence Rules Outside of Trials" at Conference on Civil Litigation and Evidence in Wisconsin CourtsMarch 22, 2013
- Thomas J. Nichols Presents "Health Care Reform Update - What Employers Need to Know" at ABA Tax Section MeetingJanuary 26, 2013
- Thomas J. Nichols Participates as Moderator and Panelist for ABA Tax Section Presentation on Net Investment Income TaxJanuary 25, 2013
- Josh Welsh's Speech on Critical Drafting Issues for Commercial Leases to be Webcast by State Bar of Wisconsin on January 15th at 10:30 a.m.January 15, 2013
- January 1, 2013
Jennifer started with Meissner Tierney in 2006, after clerking for the Honorable Lynn Adelman, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Wisconsin. Over the years, Jenny's ability to quickly and thoughtfully analyze relevant law and to develop compelling legal arguments for our clients has made her an invaluable member of the firm.
- December 27, 2012
- December 13, 2012
- December 7, 2012
William Stuart has been selected as a panel speaker at the upcoming 2013 Business Strategies Conference for the American Land Title Association set for March 15, 2013.
- December 5, 2012
Meissner Tierney is pleased to announce that Thomas J. Nichols, a shareholder and the firm’s President, has been honored by the Wisconsin Law Journal as one of its Leaders in the Law for 2013.
- November 14, 2012
- November 14, 2012
The firm congratulates Michael J. Cohen on being named one of the top 50 attorneys in the state of Wisconsin and the top 25 attorneys in the Milwaukee area by Super Lawyers® Wisconsin.
- October 12, 2012
- October 12, 2012
- Thomas Nichols to speak at the Wisconsin Institute of CPA's Annual Tax Conference on new health care legislationOctober 12, 2012
- September 20, 2012
- September 19, 2012
Meissner Tierney congratulates Joseph Tierney, Thomas Nichols, Randal Brotherhood, Michael Cohen and William Stuart for being selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013
- Josh Welsh's Speech on Critical Drafting Issues for Commercial Leases to be Webcast by State Bar of Wisconsin on September 19, 2012 at 10:30amSeptember 19, 2012
- August 14, 2012
- July 30, 2012